Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Farewell, Fantastic Pluto

I am older than the space age, although not by much. I was only a toddler when Sputnik 1 was launched in 1957, was too young to take any notice of the news about Yuri Gagarin's path-breaking orbital flight four years later. But I have a very clear memory of seeing, on the black-and-white television set the teacher brought into the classroom of Selsley Primary School for the occasion, images of the Moon's surface transmitted by the robot craft Surveyor 1 after its soft landing on the Ocean of Storms. That was on June 2, 1966. A little over three years later I was woken by my mother in the middle of a summer night to see Neil Armstrong make his historic first step. I remember the images captured by Pioneer 10 as it sped through Jupiter's system, Viking 1's first glimpse of Mars's rock-strewn surface, the softly tinted picture of a frozen beach sent from Titan by the little Huygens lander. And a few days ago I watched on the same screen that I'm now typing this, via NASA TV's internet channel, the presentation of the first high resolution images of Pluto and its largest moon, Charon, captured by the New Horizons spacecraft. Less than sixty years after Sputnik the first era of solar system exploration is over . . .
More over at Strange Horizons.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Guys I Wanna Share Some Thing Very Important :-)
I Wanna Tell About New Discovered Planet Earth 2.0 's Facts
Please Read Them Here
http://viral8facts.blogspot.com/2015/07/10-awesome-facts-about-earth-20-you.html
Admin Please Approve My Comment Thanks :-)

July 31, 2015 1:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts