Monday, August 10, 2009

Gardens Of The Sun, Fourth Chapter

Cash Baker was woken by degrees. Surfacing to a confusion of light and clamour, sinking back, surfacing again. He knew that he had been badly injured and that he was still gravely ill, but he didn’t remember what had happened. The surgeon in charge of his recovery and rehabilitation, Doctor Jésus McCaffery, told him that his singleship had been attacked by Outer drones. One of the drones had exploded close to his ship and a fragment of debris had punched through the ship’s hull and pierced Cash’s head. His ship had saved his life by putting him in hibernation; after he’d been rescued, Dr Jésus and his crew had kept him in an induced coma, repaired the damage by regrowing parts of his brain and modifying the artificial nervous system that had enabled him to fly combat singleships, and then brought him back to consciousness in a series of carefully managed steps.


READ MORE . . .

2 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

You know, the first time you did this (with Players, wasn't it?), I studiously avoided each posted chapter, thinking I didn't want the actual book reading spoiled for me, but I found myself reading all of the chapters of The Quiet War you posted with mounting pleasure, and actually found they really wet my appetite for he book, and that it actually made reading it in print all the more fun. I'm definitley enjoying the chapters this time round, too.

Its nice to see Cash Baker back, too. I found myself almost begrudgingly liking him last time, and really did want to know what was going to happen to him.

August 10, 2009 2:32 pm  
Blogger Paul McAuley said...

You don't have to read it, of course, but I'm pleased you're enjoying it. Why it's up here.

August 11, 2009 2:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts